Sunday, January 14, 2018

I Said Yes

Let's take a step away from the training and racing world for a hot second here to talk about how...

I'M OFFICIALLY OFF THE MARKET! 

Because I only plan on doing this once in life 

Last Wednesday, Rob came over after work for dinner as my boyfriend. He left that night as my fiance. It was perfect. The two of us, being us. No crowds, no cameras, no fuss. Just me, Rob, and a shiny new addition to my left hand. It was a secret Rob kept to himself, telling no one when he'd pop the question. One of the sweetest things he's ever told me, "I wanted you to be the first one to know." We ran down the street immediately to tell my parents and Mark. Rob had visited them last week, but of course they didn't know when this day would come. Instant tears and hugs ensued. My hand never stopped shaking and that smile never left my face while we sat in my parents living room.

I'll always remember that I got engaged in my finest sweats
I-L-L

It took us an entire day just to spread the word to all of Rob's 9 siblings. It might have been the hardest secret I've ever kept for 24 hours. But when Rob FaceTimed me into his mother's birthday celebration late Thursday night after work and I was able to witness the family's reaction, it was well worth the wait. Screams and cheers filled that kitchen instantly and I sat in front of my computer and tears came to my eyes. These people that I've grown to love over the years, they love me just as much. And soon they'll officially be my family.

Soon after, the secret began to leak. I've spent more time on the phone in the last 3 days than I ever remember before. FaceTime is a glorious thing, being able to SEE everyone's reaction as Rob and I tell everyone the great news. Yesterday we made a special trip to go tell my grandmother, 93 years young and more full of life than ever before. Her reaction was priceless, and at one point she even told us, "You know, I say my prayers every night and I always include Rob. And I pray to God that I won't club him!" Well Gram, now that's one less prayer when you go to bed at night.

Soon to be 💖

Being the good brother that Mark is, he took a few nicer pictures of us (not in sweat pants) for us to remember this special time.

How long until I think this kind of stuff is cheesey? Never, good.

Me and my Spectathlete, forever 💕
In our matching Kineta Relay 👟👟

We decided to head out last night, for the first time in a long time. Very impromptu, very last minute, very much the kind of celebration I love. But we had some of our dearest friends by our sides and we celebrated the night away.

Seriously.. It'll never get old 😉

Full Disclosure - this photo was taken after midnight
I was so proud of myself for staying awake so long!

So, I guess you could say 2018 is off to a pretty solid start. We're only 14 days in, and I haven't stopped smiling yet. Cheers 🍻

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What a way to start the year! 💍🏊‍♀️🚴‍♀️🏃‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! i'm so glad to know i'm not the only one who got engaged in their college sweats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Layne! Yes, college sweats makes the ring look even SHINIER! ;)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete